The Delhi Campus Child Care Center, Inc. (DC4) strives to achieve an environment that is comfortable, relaxed, happy and supportive. Staff’s interactions with children and each other are characterized by warmth, personal respect, individuality, positive support and responsiveness. All staff is responsible for facilitating interactions among children which provide opportunities for development of social skills and intellectual growth.
We use a variety of strategies to help children be able to control their own impulses, direct their own actions and be able to regulate their own behavior. At DC4, the developmentally appropriate behavior management techniques employed provide children with opportunities to develop self-control. The Center has developed, consistently implements, and communicates positive discipline guidelines to all staff and parents. These guidelines and appropriate limits offer children protection, provide opportunities for problem solving, and foster growth of internal controls.
Techniques include but are not limited to the following:
- Redirect the child(ren) to an alternative activity
- Minimize potential problems through anticipation and planning
- Provide positive reinforcement and encouragement rather than competition, comparison or criticism
- Encourage children to talk about their experiences, ideas, feelings and listen to them with attention and respect
- Foster cooperation and other prosocial behaviors among children
- Design the classroom environment so that it allows children opportunities to work individually, together in small groups, or in larger groups.
- Allow the child to experience the consequences of their own actions if not harmful to the child or others.
- Recognize children’s feelings without accepting their action.
- Help children problem-solve
At our center, DC4 and Carousel Staff use the Pyramid Model to create a safe and caring classroom and school for you and your child. At DC4, we believe that YOU are your child’s first teacher, and we are your partner while your child is in our program. We value you and your child, and as your partners, we want your child to learn skills that will 1. Help them do well in school, and 2. Help them do well in life. Pyramid Model practices help us support you.
What is the Pyramid Model?
The Pyramid Model is a set of practices that help children develop important social and emotional skills to last a lifetime.
The Pyramid Model practices help children develop important social and emotional skills that will help them be successful in school and in life.
• Level 1 – Practices that help all children. (Healthy Relationships, Classroom routines)
• Level 2—Practices that some children who need a little more support. (Friendship Skills, Feelings)
• Level 3—Practices that help a few children who need more support. (A partnership with families)
We have developed the “4 C’s” that guide us:
We are Caring
We are Curious
We are Creative
We are Cooperative