Why is being a NAEYC accredited program so important?
National Association of the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accredited childcare programs enrich the childcare experience for children and their families. An accredited center is one that is recognized as providing exceptional care and a variety of educational, developmental, and personal services that ease the burden of working parents. To earn accreditation, programs comply with national standards of quality that go well beyond state health and safety licensing requirements
NAEYC has established ten standards of excellence for early childhood education that involve children, teachers, family and community partners, and program administration. Programs that meet these standards are recognized for providing a safe and healthy environment for children, and having teachers that are well trained, have access to excellent teaching materials, and work with a curriculum that is appropriately challenging and developmentally sound for young children.
NAEYC accredited childcare centers:
- Promote positive relationships for all children and adults to encourage each child’s sense of individual worth
- Implement a curriculum that fosters all areas of child development
- Provide ongoing assessment of each child’s learning and development and communicate the child’s progress to the family
- Promote the nutrition and health of children and protect them from injury and illness
- Employ and support a teaching staff that has the educational qualifications and professional commitment to promote children’s learning and development
- Establish relationships with and use the resources of the community to support achievement of program goals
- Provide a safe and healthy learning environment
- Implement strong personnel, fiscal, and program management policies so all children and families have high-quality experiences.
Early childhood education programs are proud to be accredited by NAEYC because they know they have worked hard for that achievement. Using NAEYC tools and materials, they are continuously improving their programs to provide the best possible educational opportunities for children. NAEYC Accreditation is valid for 5 years. During that period programs make annual reports documenting that they maintain compliance with the program standards. All NAEYC accredited programs are also subject to unannounced visits by NAEYC assessors.
The Delhi Campus Child Care Center has been certified by the National Association for the Education of Young Children since 1995.